I'm Inspired to Write by

Reading authors who know and love their audience. When I was a kid, I was emotional, and quiet, Oh I was pretty funny when I chose to open my mouth but mostly I was a shy, crybaby book worm. One day I was sitting in the living room reading Iggy's House by Judy Blume circa 1970. That book made me feel so grown up because it was a young adult book and I was not even close to being a young adult, and it dealt with friends moving and interestingly enough, race. I recommend the book to any kid who just wants to read about something that is not saccharine and doesn't have a multitude of sexual context like a number of the young adult books going around right now.
Anyway, the main character Winnie wasn't a carbon copy of the people around her, she was a kid and she was important enough to write about. I found this so inspiring because I felt, tiny, sad and insignificant with my oddities, gap-tooth grin which I constantly tried to hide, kinky hair and dark skin. That book made me feel important. The writer didnt know me but she me made me feel important. she made me think about life beyond my pre-pubescent melodramatic angsty existence and on the day I finished that book, I began to write myself into being. I placed myself in interesting places and vowed to visit New York since that was where Iggy moved to in the book. I am inspired by writers who know their audience and everything I write is written with my audience in mind and I have Judy Blume to thank for that initially and a multitude of others to thank subsequently.
I am inspired to write by female writers who write about females in ways that matter to females.
I know it's kinda sappy but hey, it's true and it's me.
Happy Karma

Comments

Popular Posts