This is not my Review of Riddick...

Well, although the weather would have us think otherwise, summer is over. Kids are back in school and parents are breathing a bit easier I suppose. I'm still shaking off the Con-crud I picked up from 4 days at Dragon Con but it was certainly worth the trouble for sure. I went to writing panel hosted by Michael Stackpole while I was there about writing serial novels and it was extremely enlightening. I bought the book, well I bought the writers career starter pack which included 21 days to a novel, rules for writing and how to write a serial novel. I only recently started going through the material and it has really gotten me moving which made that 10 dollar investment well worth the cash!

I think my biggest issue with writing is being too....I dont know a good word for it (and I call myself a writer). I like to write about world ending scenarios. Give me an apocalypse and I'm at home if I'm being completely honest. I also like to incorporate strong females of color (black, Asian, native-American). Further still I like to have other typically marginalized characters. What happens to disabled individuals during a post apocalyptic rebuild? People in wheelchairs? People with learning disabilities or otherwise mentally impaired or differently-able? Everytime I see a sci-fi type post apocalyptic type movie, ethnic minorites and the disabled seem to be conspicuosly absent, unless they need someone for us to sympathize with for 10 minutes before they kill them off and then get back to the business of the same old cast of characters saving the earth, saving themselves or putting civilization back to rights...(dont get me started on Riddick.  That's a rant for another time).

My point is that even though I see the omissions I have to fight against the urge to fall in line for the sake of gaining a guaranteed audience, which would honestly make my writing a lie if I did fall in line.

I'm not sure if this post landed where I wanted it or if I was even aiming at a landing pad but there it is. I guess I'll get back to that book, my writing isnt gonna write itself (is that anyway to construct a sentence? Probably not but there it is and I'm decidedly sleepy so...
Laters

Comments

Popular Posts