"It was a pleasure to burn"

is one of my favorite first lines. I love that line. Within it you know something about the speaker. The speaker finds pleasure, happiness and most of all ecstasy in flames--regardless of the type. Is it passion's flame or the gift of Prometheus that elates the speaker so? We don't know yet but we are already committed to finding out.

See that's the thing about first lines. Whether it's a movie, a poem, a song, or a book (especially a book) the first line determines whether or not we are going to invest the time and effort into taking a bigger chunk out of whatever it is we are attempting to explore. With this in mind, every so often, I try to think of what the first line might be if I were a book of my life rather than a live action interpretation of said life. Would I start off with eerie pleasure or with a compassionate sort of feel. I like to think that my opening line would be the stuff of epics but I believe the first line of my life would likely start with something far more humble like say,
"It's a girl",
Luckily we can create our own first line as it might indicate the fascinating bits to come, were one to open the book and keep reading...
What's YOUR first line? I write and rewrite my story often these days so that I know that I am constantly moving forward. It is the only way for me to stay focused and motivated. It has worked for me so far and I certainly dont plan to drop the process now. Maybe we need a new first line as a nation...
Don't forget to finish the rest of the book once you get that first line just right.
Pay your debts, Keep your word, write or rewrite your book, first line and all...
I need to get cracking on my first line if you don't mind...
Karmically Yours
Me!

Comments

Popular Posts